Friday, June 23, 2006

Happy Midsummer!

Today, as every year nordics all over the region is celebrating Midsummers eve. An event that involved excessive eating, singing but most prominently drinking. PE halls are transformed into nursing facilities for drunken teenagers and the police is working overtime to catch those who dare to take the car home from the festivities. Everybody is enjoying this true national day of Sweden. Everybody except me! Today marks the fifth year where I have for one reason or another missed Midsummers eve. Either I have been working, travelling or been jacked in a hospital bed. This year I am spending my Midsummers eve in Switzerland, a place where this term means as much as Christmas means to palestinians. Well, I am enjoying myself, but without all that eating, singing and drinking. Hope that you are enjoying your Midsummers eve, wherever you are. Happy midsummer!

4 Comments:

At 6/24/2006 01:44:00 PM , Blogger Egetusmeister said...

Oh wow.. so you managed to go to Switzerland already? I thought you'd get your first chance in like August. Ah well. Have fun anyhow. I think I potentially had the best midsummer's eve ever! It was just us five girls, the sauna, a grill, some bad but ah such sing-along-sorta-music, and not to forget obscene amounts of booze and cigarettes. We had a great time... Just ask the darts board at Katri's place, I was the best in darts! Can you imagine that? And I was by far the most drunken one! :D Oh, and I am going to see an apartment in Helsinki on Monday, I would be happy beyond belief if me and Sanna could get it! It's a three room apartment with a big balcony and a kitchen, right next to a bus stop and the metro station. I mean, perfect is just the word for it! Anyhow, must not get too excited beforehand. It might be that we won't get it... Anyways. Har det!

 
At 6/26/2006 11:06:00 PM , Blogger Akın Aytekin said...

Happy midsummer to you and just do not forget; people in Palestine or people in the rest of the world have more important things to care about. It seems ridicolous to me to get drunk and make shit just for a midsummer party... Hope you are doing fine...
And Emmi, i hope you will get the house :) please, say hi to Sanna and take care...
peace,
Akin

 
At 7/09/2006 03:17:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually there are many christian palestinans who do celebrate christmas.. Yassir Arafats wife being one of them ...

;d

 
At 7/09/2006 03:46:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we have buffon's in my country too :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home